Sunday, July 6, 2008

Victoria Classic

My latest obsession! Why are my tastes so expensive? I love the Velorbis Victoria Classic and I really want it. Do you want to know how much it costs? Are you sitting down?

$1749

With that little reality check I stopped to wonder if what I am obsessed with is the groovy cool bike or actually the idea of the bike.

In all reality, where am I going to ride it? Up Hwy 99 to Top Foods? Or around the corner to the 7-11? Because, even though I live in Edmonds, it's not like I live in the really cute downtown area let alone a sweet little village where I can joyfully ride along without a care in the world. Can you say "urban sprawl"? And then I'd have to spend 10 minutes locking the damn thing up so that no one steals it! UGH...

So now I dream of living in a European town where I can ride my Victoria Classic that I bought at The Dutch Bike Co. in Seattle and look like one of those fabulous Danish girls with wind in their blonde hair, in heels and a summer dress on their way to pick up flowers and lunch.

Good thing I am a Buddhist who realizes the impermanence and dream-like quality of reality (to a severly limited extent!!). Otherwise I would truly be suffering right about now! 

So to be completely honest, I am perfectly happy where I am right now, it's just fun to indulge myself in the desire realm every so often. For my simple basic understanding is that it is ok to want or have really fabulous things. It's the level of attachment to the want of them that creates the suffering - Ah! Materialism, who'd have it!! I will! I will!

No comments: