Sunday, September 21, 2008

Green Smoothies

I have started making green smoothies. It started out with a powdered whole food shake packet I have had in my vitamin stash for over a year. I haven't felt "healthy" in a long time and I am gaining weight and have zero energy. It is time to do something different. 

A friend of mine has been eating Raw for a while now and she looks so good. She looks vibrant and has lost weight. One of the things she told me she does is make a shake with tons of greens. This idea stuck in my head. I'm no dummy when it comes to nutrition, just lazy. So making green smoothies was a really great idea. 

The other night I made up the powdered shake and gagged it down. It was powdered, what did I expect. Still, I was buzzing until midnight. I was alert, had energy, and kept my focus on knitting and conversation the entire time! This was great!

I thought I could buy more of the powder packets from the vitamin store or I could my own FRESH green shake - probably cheaper. So I picked up some kale, chard and spinach. I thought I'd make it like I would a regular smoothie so I also bought orange juice, bananas, and Greek honey yoghurt to throw in to balance the bitter greens with some sweetness.

It was so good. That was last night, and now this morning I am having another one. I figure I could have one green shake a day in order to get all of the vitamins, minerals and protiens I need for the day. Now I can eat the foods I usually eat that don't usually contain many green veggies and still feel great.

No comments: